Scripps Ranch Bus Committee
21 March 2018
I. Call to Order
Todd Philips called to order the regular monthly meeting of the Scripps Ranch Bus Committee (SRBC) at 7:06 PM on 21 March 2018 at the San Diego Public Library – Scripps Ranch branch.
II. Roll Call
Officers: Todd Philips (Chair), Dane Fetherling (Vice Chair)
Members-at-Large: Cecily Walbridge, Joseph Spahn
III. Modifications to Agenda
IV. Non-Agenda Public Comment:
Pippa Mills advised that the current bus wait list is not posted on the Scripps Ranch Civic Association (SRCA) web page. Efforts will be undertaken to immediately post this information.
V. Discussion Items/Presentations:
· Wait List – T. Philips advised that the committee is working to verify current students who are riding the various buses through contacting parents/guardians via phone. The committee has 236 total names (240 possible spots total).
· Publicity for the 11 April 2018 bus information to be held at Marshall Middle School (MMS) – The committee will blanket the area elementary schools with informational flyers and the like. T. Philips asked all those in attendance to “get the word out” as much as possible about this meeting.
· Online registration for bus services (2018 – 2019 school year) – Kickoff meeting slated for 6:30 PM PDT on 11 April 2018. The online registration portal will open at 12:01:00 AM PDT on 12 April 2018 and close at 11:59:59 PM PDT on 30 April 2018. All children must be registered during this window including those who currently ride.
· Lottery for seats (2018 – 2019 school year) – Will be held on 09 May 2018 at 7:00 PM PDT at the San Diego Public Library – Scripps Ranch branch.
· SRBC Nominations and Elections for the 2018 – 2019 school year – SRBC nominations for next school year will be open up to and including 22 May 2018 to allow for self-nominations and nominations from the floor. Elections will take place at the regular committee meeting on 22 May 2018.
VI. Action Items:
Suggested amendments to the SRBC Business Rules Addendum
· The committee discussed allowing children of parents with physical disabilities to have priority access to bus service due to issues with the parent driving their child to MMS because of said disability. The committee agreed to check with the San Diego Unified School District (SDUSD) on any legal factors here before deciding one way or the other. Chair T. Philips will coordinate a response with relevant SDUSD personnel and advise at the committee’s April 2018 meeting.
· The committee discussed allowing children of military personnel to have priority access to due to irregular work schedules and the fact that military members are often deployed which burdens the other parent, etc. The committee discussed this and ended up voting to not grant priority bus access to military families. Motion made by C. Walbridge, second by J. Spahn. Unanimous vote (4-0) - Philips, Fetherling, Spahn, Walbridge.
VII. Approval of Minutes from SRBC Meeting – 27 February 2018
· J. Spahn motioned to approve the minutes with a second from C. Walbridge. Vote (3-0-1) - Fetherling, Spahn, Walbridge, with Philips abstaining.
Chair T. Philips adjourned the meeting at 8:29 PM PDT.
24 April 2018 – 7:00 PM PDT – San Diego Public Library – Scripps Ranch branch
Submitted By: D. Fetherling